Wednesday, July 19, 2006

 

Quinceañera

Quinceañera I went to a pre-screening of a new independent film (opens on Aug 2) called "Quinceañera." I really like this film as well, especially the acting.

I didn't know what Quinceañera means till I saw this film. Set in Echo Park, Los Angeles, Magdalena is about to celebrate her 15th birthday, Quinceañera, which is a huge deal in Spanish-speaking communities. But her Quinceañera celebration is shattered when she discovers that she is pregnant. She has to move in with her cousin Carlos and her great-great uncle after her religious dad is outraged by her pregnancy. Things are getting even more complicated when a gay white couple bought the house where they live and moved in, I can just say that they bring in drama to this family and the Spanish-speaking community.

Jesse Garcia gives an outstanding performance as Carlos in "Quinceañera." He is perhaps the most "non-gay looking" gay character I have seen on the big screen. It's quite refreshing.

Watching these characters makes me want to move in with them to learn more about their tradition, their culture, and their families. They are sweet people with big hearts. They are innocent and down to earth. The girl Magdalena reminds me a lot my physician's assistant, who is soft spoken and very sweet.

Even the writing of "Quinceañera" is pretty good, especially the dialogues, but the plot seems a little stretching. Perhaps the tight time restraint on shooting puts a "rush" stamp on the script. But I do like this film quite a lot.

My rating: 8 out of 10.


Comments: Post a Comment


<< Home This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?