Wednesday, December 13, 2006

 

Blue Swallow (靑燕)

靑燕 I watched a terrific Korean film "Blue Swallow" ("靑燕").

"Blue Swallow" is a story about the life of Korean's first female pilot Pak Kyeong-Won. Pak Kyeong-Won went to Japan to study aviation at the age of 16 in 1917. In 1933, despite the Korean's struggle to liberate from Japanese's cruel occupation and the tension preparing to go to war in Japan, she is determined to make a historical flight from Japan back to her homeland Korea.

I never anticipated that I would cry, twice, watching a small airplane flying on the screen. It's a very touchy and emotional film. Pak Kyeong-Won's passion for flying is inspiring, even she seems a little bit obsessed.

I never heard about this extraordinary woman before I watched this film, so I was having the same question in my mind as many others while watching this film: how could she totally ignore the fact that Korea people were suffering under Japanese occupation and simply pursed her dream to fly in Japan?

The film didn't really deal with this question, it just focuses on her zeal for aviation instead. And what a compelling story the film tells.

My rating: 9 out of 10.


Comments: Post a Comment


<< Home This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?