Monday, March 5, 2007

 

Zodiac

Zodiac I wish I liked "Zodiac" more. It's directed by David Fincher, who also made "Se7en," one of my favorite films. But "Zodiac" is not as captivating as "Se7en," but much longer.

"Zodiac" tells a story about the serial killer Zodiac who terrified San Francisco and the surrounding area in the late 1960s and early 1970. A cartoon artist at San Francisco Chronicle becomes obsessed with unlocking Zodiac's code.

The problem is that everybody knows that until today we still don't know who Zodiac is. So no matter how excited Jake Gyllenhaal acts in the film, thinking that he figures out who Zodiac is, we just sit there looking at him like he is an idiot.

If this film was a documentary, or if I knew more about this case, or if I had experienced the terror in the 1970s, I probably would have appreciate this film more. However, it's not the case.

While I enjoy the good performance and the suspense the film builds, I just can't get excited because I know all of the characters will eventually fail and get extremely frustrated. I know that much without having to see this film. So what's new?

It would be a better film if it was a fiction based on the Zodiac case, and nobody would know what's gonna happen next, like the fascinating "Se7en."

My rating: 6 out of 10.


Comments: Post a Comment


<< Home This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?