Friday, September 1, 2006

 

Chungking Express (重庆森林)

Although there are plenty new films I need to catch, but I can't help but to play couple old ones that I love. This weekend, I watched "Chungking Express" (重庆森林) and "Oldboy" (올드보이) again.

重庆森林 Director Wong Kar Wai (王家卫) made "Chungking Express" (重庆森林) long before "2046." Twelve years later, I still love "Chungking Express" for its originality, its energy, its cinematic communication, its casts, and simply, its existence.

The film tells two love stories with two unrelated cops. But this film is not really about the stories or plots, which doesn't seem quite making sense sometimes. But the style and the emotion the film invokes is quite astonishing. I was surprised to realize that I had tears in my eyes when I see Wang Fei (王菲) dancing to the tune of "California Dreamin'." I see myself in her.

It's almost very hard to explain why I like this film so much. It just hit me every time I watch it.

Although Takeshi Kaneshiro (金城武) is much younger and hotter in this film, but definitely he is a better actor today than 12 years ago.

My rating: 9 out of 10.


Comments: Post a Comment


<< Home This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?