Friday, March 24, 2006

 

Chinese Restaurants: Latin Passions

Chinese Restaurants: Latin Passions The documentary "Chinese Restaurants: Latin Passions" is the last film I saw at the film festival. It was a big disappointment. I have heard so much about Cheuk Kwan's 15-part documentary series about family Chinese restaurants. This is the only one I have seen and I am not impressed. It seems a mediocre TV show on a travel channel. Of course, those three Chinese restaurant owners are interesting individuals and have their compelling stories to tell. But they seem disconnected from each other and they should have each episode on their own. I don't see a common theme to group these three people together into this documentary, other than the fact that they all have Chinese restaurants in Latin America. It's pretty much the same story gets told again and again, with some variations. To me, the interviews are sugar coded and no hard question is asked. All these restaurant owners seem like a Saint and the nicest guy you have ever met. I wonder how come the filmmaker didn't interview some of those restaurant about their personal lives? If I knew how to speak Cantonese, I would grab a camera and make a film about the workers working in these Chinese restaurants. I am afraid that would be a different documentary compared to this rosy travel channel afternoon special.

My rating: 4 out of 10.


Now I need to get ready for the course I will give on Sunday. I was told that there are about 80 people registered my course already. But why do they have to schedule the course so damn early on a Sunday!!!???


Comments: Post a Comment


<< Home This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?