Friday, August 25, 2006

 

Matador

Matador Today I went to another screening of "Viva Pedro." Today's film is "Matador."

I like this movie much better, and I was totally fascinated by its mysterious characters.

Diego teaches young bullfighters at his school. But behind the closed doors, he is obsessed by killing and death. One of his student Angel, played by Antonio Banderas again, is under murder investigations after he raped his neighbor Eva to prove that he is not gay, while Eva is madly in love with Diego. Then things get even more complicated when Angel's lawyer appears.

This movie is very dark and I giggled with its black humor. I don't want to give the plot away, but the film reminds me of that German guy who killed another man, who answered his internet ad and wanted to be killed.

Are these characters in the film strange? Definitely they are not like friends I hang out with. Well, I hope not. But they are interesting and never boring. The film gives us the opportunity to get into their heads to understand why they behave in a certain way.

I love the new print of this film, in very high quality and really pretty. They don't even talk as fast as the those in "Law of Desire" (La Ley Del Deseo) I saw on Wednesday. I can't wait to see Pedro Almodóvar's new film "Volve."

My rating: 8 out of 10.


Comments: Post a Comment


<< Home This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?