Thursday, August 24, 2006

 

My Country, My Country

My Country, My Country Today, I went to a press screening of the new documentary "My Country, My Country."

I was prepared that this is gonna be a depressing film. Indeed, with the incredible moving soundtrack, this film gives us a first hand look what it's like to live in Iraq under the US occupation.

Dr Riyadh works at a free clinic for Iraq people in Bagdad. He doesn't hide his opposition of the US occupation and encourages people to vote in the first election in Iraq. The film focus on the events surrounded Dr. Riyadh during this election.

It's remarkable for the filmmaker to quietly observe the devastated daily lives in Iraq after the US invasion. There is no single voice over commentary in the movie. The film uses its images and its subjects to give us the compelling point of view.

Can the US install democracy by rolling tanks into the streets of Iraq? I don't think so. Just look at Iraq now, years after the "mission accomplished." Very sad.

My rating: 7 out of 10.


Comments: Post a Comment


<< Home This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?