Tuesday, September 26, 2006

 

The Last King of Scotland

The Last King of Scotland I saw a new powerful drama: "The Last King of Scotland," which will be the opening night film at the upcoming the 29th Mill Valley Film Festival.

A freshly graduated young doctor Nicolas from Scotland went to Uganda in 1970s hoping that he could offer his helping hands to the Ugandan people. Instead of serving the poor and needed, he met the charismatic Uganda dictator Idi Amin and his life is forever changed.

I didn't know anything about Idi Amin before the film, but I know a great deal about him after the film. He is charismatic yet brutal. I can see myself to become his friend when I first meet him and then realize that he can be the worst monster in my life and I want to escape far away from him. Idi Amin's character is so lively and fascinating in this film, through the terrific performance by Forest Whitaker.

I know it's just the beginning of the Oscar season, but Forest Whitaker definitely gives an Oscar worthy performance in this film as Idi Amin.

It's such a gripping film that keeps me on the edge of my seat all the time.

The performance is outstanding, the cinematography is breathtaking, the story is compelling, the music is deeply moving, and the film is simply fantastic.

And the Oscar is written all over it.

Yes, I am giving it a rare 10 out of 10.


Comments: Post a Comment


<< Home This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?