Wednesday, September 6, 2006

 

Shinobi: Heart Under Blade

Shinobi Tonight, I watched a fascinating Japanese film "Shinobi: Heart Under Blade."

During the 17th century, the ruler of Japan orchestrated a battle between two powerful ninja clans Iga and Kouga in order to reduce their threats to the ruler. Iga and Kouga have been rivals and fighting for hundred of years. Five of the best from each clan were chosen for the battle, led by Gennosuke (Joe Odagiri - オダギリジョー ) and Oboro (Yukie Nakama - 仲間 由紀恵) respectively.

However, there is one big problem: Gennosuke and Oboro love each other.

After seeing "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" (卧虎藏龙), "Hero" (英雄), and "The Seven Swords" (七剑) in the recent years, this film still so refreshing and fantastically looking to me. I am simply awed by the incredible martial arts super power demonstrated by these shinobi (忍).

If you think people walking on top of bamboo trees is wild, wait to see "Shinobi." Although some of these martial arts seem science fiction, but anyone who has read wuxia (武侠) genre novel will believe they can do those things in the movie.

I really enjoy watching this film and I wish it had many episodes so each character's story can be told in more glorious (or gruesome) details.

Joe Odagiri's character Gennosuke perhaps is the worst written one among all the main characters, but Odagiri-chan is terrific nevertheless. And he is just as cute as in "The House of Himiko" (メゾン・ド・ヒミコ).

Now I need to save my hair long enough so I can have a "Japanese Hair Straightening" treatment to look like many guys in this movie, or in an anime.

My rating: 8 out of 10.


Comments: Post a Comment


<< Home This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?