Thursday, January 4, 2007

 

Absolute Wilson

Absolute Wilson Today I went to a pre-screening of a documentary "Absolute Wilson," it will open on Jan 12.

The documentary shows us the life of a world renowned avant-garde stage director Robert Wilson and his artistic creation.

Although Robert Wilson is an American, but his work is more well known in Europe than in the US. I have never heard about this guy before I went to see this film. Through this documentary I was able to know (even just on the surface) about this amazing artist.

Robert Wilson was a slow developed child and had a father who doesn't accept him being gay when he grew up in Waco, Texas. He started to use theatre as his media form for his artistic imagination since the 60s.

Watching the footages of his plays, I feel like walking inside a Modern Art Museum. The visual is stunning and it makes me want to be there. But I also chuckled to some of the footage because I don't think I understand his artistic expression. We were told that his work is not meant to be comprehended.

Although I would like to see more about Robert Wilson's life in this film, this documentary mainly focus on his art work and the influence from his childhood. It does a fairly good job about it, at least the film makes me wonder about Mr. Wilson's work.

My rating: 7 out of 10.


Comments: Post a Comment


<< Home This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?