Tuesday, February 20, 2007

 

Exiled (放逐)

放逐 "Exiled" ("放逐") is a new film from the famous Hong Kong director Johnnie To (杜琪峰) who made many blockbusters.

Set in Macau in 1998, every gangster is trying to scoop as much money as they can before Macau is returned to China. But Wo wants to settle down with his wife and his new born son. So the mafia head sends Wo's old associates to take this renegade Wo out. It won't be that easy, since Wo's other old friends also come and do everything they can to protect Wo.

Director To is a master on creating visually rich scenes even in the most ridiculous plot and in the most unusual setting. Sometimes, even it's totally unrealistic on the screen, but I am still wowed by what I am seeing and appreciate the imagination and the creativity of the director.

After a gun fight at an apartment, the place is still tidy and neat than my apartment. I still vividly remember the waving curtains during a shoot out among the gangsters. It's very operatic and poetic. I never thought I would use those two words to describe an violent act. It's really pretty.

This is an entertaining film, with many comic moments. I doubt that anybody will find any inspiration or deep thought from this film, but a good time by all is almost guaranteed.

"Exiled" will be shown at the upcoming SFIAAFF.

My rating: 7 out of 10.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment


<< Home This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?