Saturday, March 31, 2007

 

Finishing the Game

Finishing the Game "Finishing the Game" is the opening night film at the 25th San Francisco International Asian American Film Festival (SFIAAFF). But I was really disappointed with this over the top comedy.

Bruce Lee suddenly died when filming his last film "Game of Death." In order to finish the film in the 70s, studio executives started to search Bruce Lee's replacement.

Although today is not any better, three decades ago it's even worse to be Asian in Hollywood. Director Justin Lin shows racial injustice toward Asian in many his comic moments. But the loud comedy just doesn't quite click with me and took a long time for me to settle in. Perhaps I am not familiar with the 70s pop culture so I just simply don't get the joke. So there isn't much left for me to enjoy in the film when I don't feel it's funny.

That being said, I am impressed by the look of the film and its amazing casts, when they are not trying very hard to be funny.

My rating: 3 out of 10.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment


<< Home This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?