Wednesday, April 11, 2007

 

Black Book (Zwartboek)

Black Book (Zwartboek) I went to a pre-screening of a Dutch film "Black Book" ("Zwartboek," Netherlands 2006, 145 min.) at the the Embarcadero Center Cinema. The film opens on Friday.

Based on true events, "Black Book" tells a young Jewish Dutch singer's incredible surviving story during the last moments of World War II. Rachel, fantastically played by Carice van Houten, was hiding from the Nazi in Holland. After a failed attempt to escape into Allied territory, she joined the resistance movements. Under a new name Ellis she became a German officer Müntze's girlfriend. How far would she go to survive or to fight? How would she deal with the moral dilemma sleeping with enemy?

Although the movie is almost two hours and half long, it is packed with thrills from one crisis to another. Every moment could be a turning point for life and death. This movie reminds me another surviving story in "Europa Europa." Watching both films, I can't help to ask the same question as the characters in the films are asking: "when will this end?"

Not the end of the film, but the end of their ordeals. And I am glad it's over.

My rating: 8 out of 10.

Next week, I have five pre-screenings. I don't know if that's enough.


Comments: Post a Comment


<< Home This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?