Wednesday, October 10, 2007

 

Sleuth

Sleuth I know that Oscar season is yet to begin, but "Sleuth" (USA 2007, 86 min.) just might be the best film I have seen this year. It opens on next Friday, Oct 19th in bay area theatres.

This film is based on a play by Anthony Shaffer and is a remake of the 1972 film. Nobel Prize winner (in Literature in 2005) Harold Pinter crafted the screenplay and Kenneth Branagh (remember "Hamlet?") directed the film. Michael Caine and Jude Law give perhaps the best performance in their careers.

This splendid film reaches its greatness at so many levels. Under Pinter's masterful writing, simple words become sharp knives that can cut into one's soul. The outstanding performance by Michael Caine and Jude Law bring these words as well as their characters to life. The lavish art design and the cinematography deliberately join the bloody battle of wits between Caine and Law's characters.

These are all one should know before going to see this film. Do not read any review (except this one). I did not know anything about the plot before I went to see this film, nor have I seen the original film. Therefore, to be fair, this is as much as I want to say about the plot (if I any at all).

I love this film probably because it has so much in common with my favorite food sashimi (刺身). Both are fresh, raw, elegant, stylish, exotic, exquisite, delicate, and delicious. I always crave for more.


Comments: Post a Comment


<< Home This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?